Cast Iron Pioneer Woman Shepherd’s Pie is generally made with ground sheep. Notwithstanding, this adaptation, otherwise called a Cabin Pie, is ready with ground meat all things considered.
What Is Cast Iron Pioneer Woman Shepherd’s Pie?
Pioneer Woman Shepherd’s pie is everyone’s guilty pleasure. We would eat it several times a month. What a magical dish! Everything is on the plate.
The mystery of the origin of this wonderful dish remains unsolved: no one agrees on its history. No, that’s not what Chinese workers ate when they built the railroads. It wasn’t the city of China in the United States that gave it its name. I personally believe that the origin is in French (minced meat covered with mashed potatoes) to which, once in America, corn was added to enrich it.
Today, we transform it, we dress it for the big days and we use it for all occasions. I have concocted for you this traditional, original, and new recipe on a wonderful theme. We are no longer ashamed to serve a good Pioneer Woman shepherd’s pie to our friends because they love it.
Remember It Later
This recipe! Pin it to your favorite board NOW!Pin
What Ingredients Do I Need?
-Chestnut potatoes – these potatoes are huge, white, dry, fairly coarse (rather than waxy) and are extraordinary for making pureed potatoes
-Garlic – this is the main genuine flavoring we’re utilizing for the potatoes.
-Chicken stock – in every case better on the off chance that you make your own, however in the event that you get it, search for one that is genuine stock rather than meat-seasoned salt.
-Weighty cream – this implies 35% MF
-Unsalted margarine – utilizing unsalted means you control the measure of sodium in the formula, which is a generally excellent thing. In the event that you utilize salted spread, don’t add any more salt.
-New rosemary leaves – do you have them in your windowsill garden? It’s the most ideal approach to approach new spices the entire year.
-Worcestershire sauce – the one in particular that I know to be sans gluten is Lea and Perrins.
-Ocean salt and dark pepper ought to be added on a case by case basis. There is the same amount of sodium in ocean salt as there is in different kinds. It adds a decent crunchy surface when utilized prior to serving.
-The vegetables – frozen corn bits, peas, and carrots – are similarly pretty much as great as new (despite the fact that you ought to consistently take a look at marks to ensure) on the grounds that they’re washed, slashed, and frozen not long after picking.
-Smoked paprika and new chives for preparing
In our ingredient Worcestershire sauce contains sugar. If this is an issue, omit this ingredient and replace with three tablespoons beef broth.
Pioneer Woman Shepherd’s pie is traditionally made with ground lamb, this version is also known as a “Cottage Pie”, and it is prepared with ground beef instead.
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers about Cast Iron Shepherd’s Pie:
What is shepherd’s pie?
Shepherd’s pie is a traditional British dish that is made with ground beef and vegetables. It is typically served as a main course.
How do I make shepherd’s pie?
To make shepherd’s pie, you will need to start by melting butter in a skillet. Then, add the ground beef and onions and cook until the beef is browned. Next, add the garlic, carrots, peas, corn, and potatoes and cook for a few more minutes. Finally, add milk and salt and pepper to taste. Then, transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake for about 30 minutes.
Can I make shepherd’s pie ahead of time?
Yes, you can make shepherd’s pie ahead of time. Simply bake it according to the recipe instructions and then store it in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for longerterm storage. When you are ready to eat it, reheat it in the oven or microwave.
What are some variations of shepherd’s pie?
There are many variations of shepherd’s pie. Some popular variations include using lamb instead of beef, adding in different vegetables, or using a different type of potato.
Why is shepherd’s pie called shepherd’s pie?
No one is really sure why shepherd’s pie is called shepherd’s pie. One theory is that the dish was originally made with lamb, which is a common meat for shepherds. Another theory is that the dish got its name because it is simple and easy to make, similar to how a shepherd would cook for himself.
Tip And Dessert
For best results, use a plastic spatula to cut and serve this dish. If using metal, as shown, be careful not to nick the protective seasoning on your skillet while cutting.
For the dessert you can serve a delicous cake that’s easy to make with only 3 Ingredients Cake Mix Recipe.
Cast Iron Pioneer Woman Shepherd’s Pie
Mashed Potato Ingredients:
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Water, to cover
- Pinch salt
- ½ c chicken stock, preferably organic
- ¼ c heavy cream
- 3 t unsalted butter
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 2 t fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 2 t Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ c frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ¾ c frozen peas, thawed
- 1¼ c sliced frozen carrots, thawed
- Smoked paprika
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot and add water until thepotatoes are completely covered, with an additional inch or two on top. Bringto a rapid boil over high heat for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are forktender. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, add the beef, rosemary, andWorcestershire sauce to a 10” cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Seasonwith salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirringfrequently, until the beef is completely browned and broken into small pieces,approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and carefully drainany excess fat from the skillet, if necessary. Set aside.
- Add chicken stock, heavy cream, and butter to theboiled potatoes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and mash with ahand masher or whip with a hand mixer until smooth. If necessary, add a littleextra chicken broth to reach the desired consistency. Set aside.
- Evenly spread the thawed corn, peas, andcarrots across the browned ground beef in the cast iron skillet. Top with aneven layer of the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with some smoked paprika.
- Place the skillet in the pre-heated oven andbake for 30 minutes, or until heated through and the potatoes are nicelybrowned on top. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve immediately garnishedwith fresh chives. Enjoy!