Cherry Crisp Recipe is a classic dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy dessert to make for a family gathering or a delicious treat to enjoy on a lazy Sunday afternoon, this cherry crisp recipe is sure to please. In this article, we will share a quick and easy cherry crisp recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth and leave you feeling satisfied.
What is the difference between a crisp and a crumble?
Crisps and crumbles are both classic fruit desserts that are baked with a sweet, streusel-like topping. The main difference between them lies in the type of topping used.
A crisp usually has a topping that is made with flour, butter, sugar, and often oats or nuts. The mixture is combined until it forms coarse crumbs, which are then sprinkled over the fruit filling. As the crisp bakes, the topping becomes crisp and golden brown while the fruit filling becomes bubbly and tender.
On the other hand, a crumble typically has a topping that is made with flour, butter, and sugar, but does not include oats or nuts. The mixture is combined until it forms large, uneven clumps, which are then sprinkled over the fruit filling. As the crumble bakes, the topping becomes crispy and crumbly while the fruit filling becomes soft and tender.
Overall, the main difference between a crisp and a crumble is the texture of the topping. Crisps have a finer, crumbly texture, while crumbles have a more coarse, clumpy texture. However, both desserts are equally delicious and can be made with a variety of fruits to create a tasty and comforting treat.
Can you use frozen cherries for this crisp recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen cherries for this crisp recipe. When using frozen cherries, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Thaw the cherries first: Thaw the frozen cherries completely and drain off any excess liquid before using them in the recipe.
- Adjust the sugar: Frozen cherries may be less sweet than fresh ones, so you may need to adjust the amount of sugar in the recipe to taste.
- Adjust the baking time: Using frozen cherries may add a few extra minutes to the baking time, as they release more liquid than fresh cherries. Keep an eye on the crisp as it bakes and add a few extra minutes if necessary to ensure that the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
With these adjustments, your cherry crisp made with frozen cherries will be just as delicious as one made with fresh cherries.
Do You Use Fresh, Frozen, or Canned Cherries for Cherry Crisp?
You can use fresh, frozen, or canned cherries for cherry crisp, depending on your preference and availability. Here are some things to consider when choosing which type of cherries to use:
Fresh cherries: Using fresh cherries will give your cherry crisp a delicious, natural flavor. However, fresh cherries can be expensive and are only in season for a short period of time each year. When using fresh cherries, make sure to pit them first and adjust the sugar in the recipe to taste, as they can vary in sweetness.
Frozen cherries: Frozen cherries are a convenient option that can be used any time of year. When using frozen cherries, make sure to thaw them completely and drain off any excess liquid before using them in the recipe. You may also need to adjust the sugar in the recipe to taste, as frozen cherries can be less sweet than fresh ones.
Canned cherries: Canned cherries are another convenient option that can be used any time of year. When using canned cherries, make sure to drain off any excess liquid before using them in the recipe. Canned cherries are often sweetened, so you may need to adjust the sugar in the recipe accordingly.
Overall, the choice of whether to use fresh, frozen, or canned cherries for cherry crisp is a matter of personal preference and availability. All three options can yield a delicious and satisfying dessert.
Does Crisp Topping Keep Well?
Crisp topping can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. It can keep well for up to several weeks, depending on how it is stored.
If you store the crisp topping in the refrigerator, it should be used within a week. To use it, simply sprinkle the topping over your fruit filling and bake as directed in your recipe.
If you store the crisp topping in the freezer, it can be stored for up to several weeks. When you’re ready to use it, simply remove it from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours before using it. You can also bake it straight from the freezer, but you may need to add a few extra minutes to the baking time to ensure that it is cooked through and the top is crispy.
Overall, crisp topping can keep well for a while as long as it is stored properly in an airtight container. This makes it easy to whip up a quick and delicious dessert whenever you’re in the mood for something sweet and comforting.
How To Store Cherry Crisp Recipe?
Cherry crisp is a delicious dessert that can be stored easily for later enjoyment. Here are some tips on how to store cherry crisp:
- Allow it to cool completely: After baking, allow the cherry crisp to cool completely before storing it.
- Cover and refrigerate: Once cooled, cover the cherry crisp tightly with plastic wrap or foil and store it in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 3-4 days.
- Freeze for longer storage: If you want to store the cherry crisp for longer, you can freeze it. To freeze, wrap the cooled cherry crisp tightly with plastic wrap and then wrap it again with foil. Label the package with the date and place it in the freezer. It can be stored for up to 2-3 months.
- Reheat before serving: Before serving, reheat the cherry crisp in the oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes until it is heated through and the top is crispy.
By following these simple steps, you can store your cherry crisp for later enjoyment without losing its flavor or texture.
- You can use any other fruit filling you like, such as blueberry, apple, or peach.
- If you don’t have rolled oats, you can use quick oats or even crushed graham crackers.
- If you want to make this dessert ahead of time, you can assemble it and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking.
This quick and easy cherry crisp recipe is perfect for when you are short on time but still want a delicious dessert. With just a few simple ingredients and easy instructions, you can create a dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your guests. Give it a try and see for yourself how delicious this cherry crisp can be!
Easy Cherry Crisp Recipe
- 1 can of cherry pie filling (21 oz.)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the melted butter to the mixture and stir until it becomes crumbly.
- Take a 9×9 inch baking dish and spread the cherry pie filling evenly across the bottom.
- Sprinkle the crumbly mixture on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Take the cherry crisp out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.